08 December 2010

Rosemary Focaccia

Focaccia is a flat oven-baked Italian bread, which may be topped with herbs or other ingredients.  
~ wikipedia
I chose one of my favourite herbs - rosemary.


(This post was drafted some time ago, and somehow I forgot about it till now, when I saw that it was still in draft.)
Hope some of you will give this recipe a try. The aroma of the olive oil and rosemary is just simply heart-warming. 





Ingredients for a 10x7" loaf:
1 tsp instant yeast
180ml warm water
250g bread flour
3/4 tsp salt
1.5 tbs olive oil
1 tbs rosemary (use fresh if possible, otherwise dried will do fine too)

1 - Sprinkle yeast onto 120ml of warm water. Leave for 5-10 min till frothy. 

2 - In mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and rosemary. Make a well in the centre and pour in yeasted water, remaining water and oil. 


3 - Mix to form a sticky dough. When dough comes together, knead till smooth, silky and elastic (abt 10-20min).


4 - Put dough in an oiled bowl, coating dough with oil and cover. Leave to rise till double in size (abt 1 hr). 


5 - Knock back. Then let dough rest for about 10 min.


6 - Mould to desired shape. Cover with towel. Prove till double in size (abt 30 min).


7 - Press gently to form dimples 1cm deep. Brush generously with oil and sprinkle sea salt. 


8 - Bake at 200*C for 30-45 min till golden. Cool on a rack, covering bread with a towel for a softer crust.





7 comments:

Sheryl said...

Geeze Eeelin,

This is one smoking hot bread. I love rosemary too. Anyway I just wanted to wish you a very HAPPYYY BIRTHDAY :))) Hope I'm not too late! Have a blesses year aheadd and happy holidays!

NEL, the batter baker said...

Hey Sheryl,
Happy Birthday to you too! May you have a splendid day!

Passionate About Baking said...

Ooh...this looks good! I love rosemary focaccia too! It's been a while since I baked this. Reminds me it's time to bake again! Thanks! :)

j3ss kitch3n said...

this looks smashing NEL!

NEL, the batter baker said...

@ j3ss - Thanks :)

@ Jane - This was the focaccia I meant to bake for the gathering :) I'm still thinking about your salmon pies... when do we get to try??

Passionate About Baking said...

Aiyo! What a tough decision to make between the choc cupcakes and this focaccia! I love both of them! My salmon pie? Hahaha...All distributed, no more left. Try it yourself lah! I'm sure you'll make a yummy one too! ;)

Blessed Homemaker said...

I love focaccia and this looks too beautiful to be eaten!

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!