This is a fun activity that you can make with kids aged 5 and above. My basic bread dough is the "sweet" local version, unlike the "unsweetened" slightly saltish European type.
- 500g high protein flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 60g sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250g fresh milk (lukewarm)
- 50g butter
- 1 slice of cheese singles
- Mix all the ingredients and knead till smooth and shiny. This takes about 15-20 minutes. If you are not using instant yeast, you need to mix the yeast with some lukewarm water and wait for it to froth (about 5-10 min).
- Put dough into a big bowl and cover with a cling wrap or kitchen towel. This is important so that the dough surface does not dry out.
- Proof for about 1 hour, or until double in volume.
- Punch down and cut into small pieces, ready to shape into fun animals and sausage buns.
- When shaping, be careful not to over-knead the dough or the bread will be chewy.
- After shaping, proof for another 1 hour or so. It is okay if the dough does not expand till double the volume. It will rise further in the baking process.
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Tip: By using fresh milk instead of water, you will get a finer and softer bread texture. Add a slice of cheese to enhance the flavour and this also helps to make the bread soft.