27 October 2010

Brownie Cakes

I almost forgot why I preferred baking little individual portions rather than a large cake. The original recipe for this batter was for cupcakes, but I figured I could make a larger square cake and cut it into cute little squares. Same thing right?

Sure... just have to increase the baking time from 20 minutes to 60 minutes!! And being the impatient sort, the waiting almost drove me nuts!





Anyway, this recipe is like a cross between a brownie and choc cake. Sorta like a light brownie; not so heavy, but with the same fudgy taste. Give it a go, and you'll see what I mean.


Recipe for 8" square pan:
160g semi-sweet chocolate
150g butter
200g sugar (add more if using unsweetened choc)
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
140g plain flour



Toppings: (adjust according to taste)
chocolate chips

chopped nuts
marshmallows
sprinkles

1 - Melt chocolate and butter 
bain marie. Stir till smooth. Set aside to cool.
2 - With a mixer, combine chocolate mixture, sugar, and vanilla.
3 - Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4 - Add flour and mix well. 

5 - Pour into a greased and lined pan. Sprinkle choc chips and nuts on top (as much as you like).
6 - Bake at 160 degC for about 60 min, or until you get moist crumbs from the centre.
7 - When still warm, sprinkle marshmallows and sprinkles and return to oven for 10-20 min till marshmallows are slightly melted and binds to the cake. Allow to cool completely before slicing. 











5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so with you on the duration of the baking time! LOL

Bakertan said...

hey eelin,

these mini brownie cakes look good especially when they are lined with the cupcake liners. they look fudgy, moist and the best part is that recipe is a rather fuss free one =].

gives me a good idea on how to present my brownies to my friends as sweet treats, thanks!

Yummy Bakes said...

Looks rich and fudgy. Feel like having a bite.

Bakericious said...

looks so chocolaty and moist, I am sure I will love it.

Art of Eating said...

It seems like a bridge between chocolate cake lover and brownie. Hmmm ... I'll give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!