31 October 2010

Traditional White Bread

Today was a pretty good day.
Partly because it was raining for most of the afternoon (means it's not so hot!), and partly because my bread-making attempt turned out well. 

There's just one thing I still can't get - and that's how to get light and fluffy bread.  The breads I make all seem to turn out a little dense, even today's.  Do I need to add more yeast?  Am I not kneading it enough?  Am I not proofing it enough?  If any of you bread gurus are reading this, please please please offer me a tip or two...



Recipe for a mini loaf:
1-1/4 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp sugar
75ml warm milk
75ml warm water
3/4 tsp butter
3/4 tsp salt
220g bread flour

Method:
1 - Combine yeast, sugar, milk and water. Set aside for about 10 min till mixture is frothy.
2 - Add butter and salt. 
3 - Add flour gradually and knead till dough is smooth and elastic (about 8 min).
4 - Placed in a greased bowl, cover with damp cloth, and let the dough rise till about double in size (about 1 hour).
5 - Deflate the dough and form into a loaf. Place in a greased loaf pan, cover with damp cloth and let the dough rise till double in size (about 40 min).
6 - Brush the top of the dough with some milk.
7 - Bake at 180*C for 30 min. 



2 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hey, your bread looks good! Unfortunately, I'm no expert in bread making, so I can't offer any tips. In fact, I'm looking for tips too! ;)

WendyinKK said...

Ask Pei-Lin from Dodol Mochi. I heard she kneads for almost an hour to get to the membrane stage, so that the softness level of Asian breads will be achieved. She just posted a recommended book today, maybe you can check that out if you can read Chinese.

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!