17 October 2010

French Bread Rolls

If you're wondering why I've been missing for some time, it's because I've been away for 2 weeks for my long overdue honeymoon. After almost 2 years since the wedding...

The first thing I baked since returning home was a Chocolate Fudge Cake with Ganache Frosting, which turned out pretty good, but by the time it was done, I was too tired to take fancy pictures. Maybe I'll post it up next time, but for now, I'd like to share a nice recipe for French Bread Rolls. It's easy to make and great as an accompaniment to a Western dinner.


Ingredients for 4 bread rolls:
90ml warm water
3/4 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tbs sugar
1/2 tbs oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup bread flour, plus more for dusting
sesame seeds (optional)

Method:
Combine water, yeast and sugar. Set aside for about 10 min till creamy.

Add oil, salt and half of the flour. Mix well. Gradually add remaining flour till dough comes together. Knead till smooth and elastic (about 8 min).

Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let it sit till it doubles in size (about 1 hour).

Divide dough into 4 portions, form into balls and place on greased baking pan about 5cm apart. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover with damp cloth and let it sit till it doubles in size (about 45 min).

Bake at 180 degC for about 15 min.
When done, allow rolls to cool in the oven for a softer crust. For a crunchier crust, remove from oven to cool.


I served these rolls with a seafood pasta dinner I made...



And just for fun, here's a picture of a little souvenir I got from my honeymoon.
It's a set of measuring cups in the form of mini mixing bowls - so cute, I couldn't resist!




6 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Awwww!!!!
those measuring cups are 100% cute cute cute!!!

At first glance, I thought those bread rolls were, "heong peah". Haha.

NEL, the batter baker said...

Wendy,
You are right! Dunno why the dough turned out so flat. Maybe the dough was too wet and heavy. I'll have to try it again :)

Hearty Bakes said...

Your pasta dinner looks mouth-watering! Those pastel measuring cups look absolutely sweet & pretty! Looking forward for more posts after you recharged from your honeymoon trip yah ;)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Finally, I get to see the blog behind the cat's face :) ... Like Wendy, when I first saw your photo, I thought this is a tau sa pith or something :) glad you had avgood trip and brought back lovely 'props' ... Hope to see them in your photos soon...

Bakericious said...

the measuring cups are so cute, you must be enjoying your trip a lot! rest well and await for more posting from you :)

hanushi said...

Cute measuring cups!!! :)

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!