24 October 2010

Virgin Forest

I've been intrigued by fondant for some time. It produces such flawlessly smooth and even surfaces, and amazing definition that buttercream can never achieve.


So, starting with homemade marshmallow fondant - it's so simple, it's fail proof - I rolled out clean white sheets of fondant and wrapped the mini cakes that I made earlier in the day. With the remaining fondant, I divided it into 4 parts and dyed them with colouring paste. Halfway through kneading the colours into the fondant, my arms began to tire. Oh well, at least if I continue fondanting, I'll get nice toned arms :)


Once the dye was evenly incorporated into the fondant, it was time to play with the plungers. I felt like a kid  again - it was like playing with play-doh. Quite fun!


With all the flowers and leaves prepared, it was time to decorate! Simply dip a brush in a little water, and paint the 'glue' onto the cake's fondant. Now place the cut-out at the desired spot and press gently. Keep going till you get the pattern you want.

After a few hours, I finally completed my first attempt at fondant...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Great great job, it is perfections

ann low said...

This is so pretty! I can't bear to eat it.

WendyinKK said...

I have never touched fondant yet.
Yours look well done. Is this ur first attempt?

NEL, the batter baker said...

Thank you all for dropping by :)

wendy,
Yes, this is my first attempt. That's why have to cover the whole cake fondant with flowers and leaves. The edges are still not very well done ;P

DG said...

Beautiful fondant cake! I like the combination colours that you put, they are lovely. Btw, did you ownself made or use ready made fondant?

NEL, the batter baker said...

Hi DG,
The fondant was made from scratch. It's really easy, and tastes much better than store-bought fondant. It tastes like very sweet marshmallows on top of the cake.

All you need is marshmallows, icing sugar and some shortening. Give it a try! Let me know if you want the recipe.

Bakericious said...

Are you sure this is your 1st attempt? Looks so pretty, very well done.

NEL, the batter baker said...

Jess,
This really is my first attempt. The pattern was carefully chosen to hide all the flaws. (Look carefully and you'll see.) I have a long way to go in fondant. Thinking of signing up for a class... (but it's rather expensive). Have you tried fondant before?

Hearty Bakes said...

Beautiful forest! Can't tell its your first try with all the beautiful details and delicate craftmanship :)
I'm also thinking of attending fondant class but put off with their high fees which can buy alot of tools already. I think you did a fantastic job with your first try, self-taught.

NEL, the batter baker said...

Hi Jessie,
Thanks for dropping by, and for your kind words. If you ever decide to go for the fondant class, call me ok? We can go together :)

Edith said...

Can see that you are having fun with the plungers. I just discovered that my set of blossom cutters are incomplete! I suspect my last helper threw it away! Now I am so furious!

Anyway, your work is really nice.

NEL, the batter baker said...

Edith,
Oh no... how awful. Maybe it's just misplaced. *cross fingers* Perhaps you'll find it stashed somewhere else.
Yup, had quite a bit of fun with fondant. Now want to get more plungers, but not cheap le...

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!