26 January 2011

Shiraz Chocolate Layered Cake



This cake was a cake that was not meant to be what it was. It was supposed to be NEL's triple layered mousse cake, or rather double layered as I did not have white chocolate at home.
http://thebatterbaker.blogspot.com/2010/12/triple-chocolate-mousse-cake.html You can see that the two cakes did not have the slightest resemblance.

Well, I completely messed up the whipping cream step. Instead of whipping into a mousse, my whipping cream mixture became butter bits and milk. I made the big mistake of throwing the melted chocolate into the whipped cream when I should have folded it in gently.

As I needed the cake for a family member birthday and did not have time to make another one, I heat up my whipping cream mixture to dissolve the butter lumps. Then I added about 2 tablespoons of gelatine (soften with room temperature water) into the mixture. And preso! The mousse became chocolate agar agar after sitting in the fridge for a couple of hours. :) Tasted pretty good, I must say!






6 comments:

Jean said...

i actually tot it really delicious and it's tempting me to crawl into the screen to grab a slice :)

Unknown said...

it looks to die for, I totally agree

Yummy Bakes said...

Lovely, yummy cake ...

NEL, the batter baker said...

KL, this was indeed a very yummy cake! Nice and rich. Love it :)

KL said...

Thanks for leaving your comments. :) I think the best part about an agar-agar cake is that the top is always smooth. Don't have to worry if I have frosted it smoothly or not.

Anonymous said...

try fiberagar.com you can get agar (seaweed extract) from that site.

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!