25 June 2011

Hainanese Chicken Rice



As much as I'd like to bake and cook everything from scratch, I don't always have the luxury of time.

So today I decided I'd get a little help from Prima.
I've heard so many good reviews about Prima's Hainanese Chicken Rice, I thought I'd give it a try.

This paste is only for the rice.  What about the chicken?




To get tender juicy chicken, you'll need to pamper them.  Send them to the spa!
I used chicken drumsticks and thigh - juicy tender parts.

Chop up some carrots and onions, slice some ginger and garlic, and throw them into a pot together with the chicken pieces.  And since I had some chicken bones left over from a previous recipe, I threw those in for extra flavour.  Oh, don't forget some salt and pepper, and a generous dash of sesame oil.

Fill the pot with cold water till it covers all ingredients, and slowly bring it to a boil.  Then lower the heat to a simmer.


While the chicken is enjoying the royal spa treatment, prepare the rice.  Simply follow the instructions on the packet.  Measure out 1.25 cups of rice, rinse once through, then empty the whole packet of chicken rice paste into the rice pot.  Fill with water till the mark on the pot, and mix well.  Set to cook.


Once the chicken is cooked through and tender, remove from the pot and immediately dunk it in an ice bath.  Set aside till the rice is done.


Serve with your favourite greens and a sprinkling of dark soy sauce. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!