19 September 2010

Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies


My husband thought I went mad when I bought 2 huge cans of 1.36kg butter-flavoured Crisco. But it was a really really good deal (50% off), and I didn't want to miss this offer...


So now with almost 3kg of shortening in the pantry, that Crisco cookie recipe was just calling out to me. 


Recipe (adapted from Crisco website):


165g butter-flavoured Crisco
170g brown sugar
2 tbs milk
1 tbs vanilla extract
1 egg
225g flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
100g milk chocolate chips
30g white chocolate chips
40g ground peanuts


1 - Beat Crisco, sugar, milk and vanilla till well combined.
2 - Add egg and mix well.
3 - Add flour, salt and baking soda will just combined.
4 - Stir in choc chips and nuts. Add more or less according to your preference. 
5 - Roll cookie dough into small balls and place on ungreased baking tray.
6 - Bake at 190 degC for 8-10 min for chewy cookies; 11-13 min for crispy cookies. If you're using a dark pan, reduce the temperature by 10-20 degC. 








Join me for tea?





7 comments:

Bakericious said...

Nel, looks delicious! where you got this good deal from? thanks.

NEL, the batter baker said...

Hi Jess,
It was at NTUC. PH selling the big can for $10.50, but they only have the non-flavoured version. NTUC only has the butter flavoured version but at half the price! Hope to see you blog a recipe using Crisco :)

Anonymous said...

hi,,love to give these recipes a trial,can i used butter instead,,,thanks

Anonymous said...

u r so great a baker,,to share and show all baking tips n steps,,especially for us (beginers),,but we must watch out of our belly lor,,,i appreciate,,hope you could share your upcoming new bakes,,,thanks,

NEL, the batter baker said...

Hi Anonymous (first one),
You could prob use butter instead. Just cut out the milk, and adjust accordingly. The cookie dough should look like frozen ice cream.

Dear Anonymous (2nd one),
I've learnt alot from other bloggers, so I'd like to give back some of what I've learnt. Totally agree with you on the belly.... have to be careful. haha.

Bakericious said...

thanks Nel, I will go hunt for it, cos I realised not every NTUC ran the same promo. Thanks for sharing :).

Pei-Lin said...

Hello!

Singapore has butter-flavored Crisco shortening!!?? That might be a good news for me, if I can lug some across the borders back to Kuala Lumpur. HAHA! I miss butter-flavored Crisco shortening ... used to be easily accessible when I was in the States. Thanks for letting me know!

Choc chip cookies made with shortening aren't shabby too! =)

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!