01 September 2010

Vanilla Cupcakes & Rocky Road Brownies



Time really flies! I was so busy with work the last week, I just realised it has been over a week since my last post. 



I did get some baking done over the weekend - I was all too happy to bake a big batch of cupcakes for my sis-in-law's 21st birthday. I'd never done such a big batch before, and had never done frosting. But a promise is a promise, so Saturday night was spent baking the cuppies, and Sunday morning playing with frosting and sprinkles. It was also the perfect excuse for me to pick up the Wilton set of 12 icing colours  :) 


So we decided we'd make 2 flavours - plain vanilla and rocky road brownie. Plus 2 types of frosting, this is gonna be a fairly long post...




VANILLA CUPCAKES



140g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g sugar
50g oil
120ml milk

1 - Sift flour, baking powder and salt two times. Set aside.
2 - Whisk eggs till light and fluffy.
3 - Gradually add vanilla and sugar and continue beating till batter is glossy.
4 - Combine oil and milk, and heat till just before it boils.
5 - With a balloon whisk, gently fold in flour, alternating with milk mixture.
6 - Bake at 160 degC for about 15 min or until done.






ROCKY ROAD BROWNIE CUPCAKES


120g semi-sweet chocolate
110g butter
150g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
100g plain flour
chopped walnuts, as much as you like
mini marshmallows, as much as you like


1 - Melt chocolate and butter bain marie. Stir till smooth. Set aside to cool. 
2 - With a mixer, combine chocolate mixture, sugar, and vanilla. 
3 - Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. 
4 - Add flour and mix well. Then fold in walnuts and marshmallows. 
5 - Bake at 160 degC for about 18-20 min, or until you get moist crumbs from the centre. Remove and allow to cool completely before frosting. 




CHOC FUDGE FROSTING


120g semi-sweet chocolate
120g butter
100g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 - Melt chocolate bain marie. Set aside to cool.
2 - With a mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
3 - Add sugar and vanilla and beat till light and fluffy.
4 - Add chocolate and beat on low speed until well combined. Then increase speed to medium-high and beat till frosting is smooth and glossy.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

75g shortening
150g butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
450g icing sugar, sifted
colouring

1 - Cream shortening, butter and vanilla till smooth and well combined.
2 - Gradually add sugar and continue beating.
3 - When you reach the desired consistency, stop adding sugar.
4 - Divide frosting into smaller batches, add colouring and mix well.






*************

11 comments:

Meghan @ Domestic Sugar said...

Seeing those as a kid, I think I would have gone nutz! I LOVE the colours! Very cute!

Bakertan said...

Hi Eelin,

These cupcakes are lovely, I especially love the idea of rocky rock!

What is the number of the star tip that you used for piping? Time for me to get one big one too. Oh btw, the black Wilton colour is not concentrated enough. It gives a purplish grey hue rather than black.

Have you tried meringue buttercream? I love to use it these days.

cheers

Bakericious said...

looks so pretty!

NEL, the batter baker said...

Hi Bakertan,
The idea for Rocky Road came about cos I thought it would be more interesting than plain brownies. Fortunately, the marshmallows didn't expand too much while baking. Otherwise, it would have turned into volcano brownies!

I used #19 tip. It's small cos these are really small cuppies. A bigger tip would probably work better. At the moment, I'm contemplating the Wilton deluxe tip set...

Thanks for the tip about the black colouring. There must be a way to get it really dark. I shall research and experiment...

I've read about meringue buttercream too and went to get the (expensive) can of Wilton meringue powder. In the end, didn't use it at all and settled for a recipe with shortening. Seemed to work well, but will try meringue buttercream next round.

Love your swiss roll!

NEL, the batter baker said...

Domestic Sugar, and Jess,

Thanks for dropping by :)
The birthday girl and her friends liked the colours too. At first, I was afraid that having so many different colours would clash, but the result was super cheery cupcakes. It was quite a sight when I first opened the plain white boxes that they were in.

DG said...

Pretty colourful cupcakes! I have only 8 icing colours Wilton set at home too. I love to use it and make pretty colours too. Btw, do you know how long we can keep this up, as I couldn't find the expired day on the box. How about yours?

NEL, the batter baker said...

Hi DG,
Mine doesn't have any expiry date either. I reckon it has a very very long shelf life, and as long as it hasn't changed colour or consistency, and hasn't grown mold or smells funny, it should be ok :)
Have you tried mixing colours before? Do they turn out nice?

Hearty Bakes said...

I just love the colours! They are so colourful & pretty! Those brownies look very chocolaty goood!

ann low said...

Love the colorful cupcakes :) So pretty!

DG said...

Thanks for the reply NEL,
I haven't tried any mixing before. However, I did try on agar2x, as I bought wrong colour, bought yellow instead of white. So to get a GREEN, I use blue. It works :)

Bakertan said...

Hi Eelin,

the wilton black colour isnt pure black and the red is lousy too, according to jane from passionate about baking. she mentioned that Chef Master's black is pure black and can be obtained from kitchen capers

for the meringue buttercream, i use normal egg whites but stick to the swiss meringue buttercream method. the eggs whites are warmed to a certain temperature making it safe for consumption.

cheers
zhuoyuan

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!