08 November 2011

Mini Tomato Bacon Quiche

How many of you follow Pioneer Woman's blog?

I like her nonchalent style and her detailed step-by-step photos, which are also gorgeous to look at.

Sometimes, when I'm lazy - which is most times - I just scroll down her post, glance at the pictures and I sorta get what she's doing. I'd like to do that for my blog, but I get lazy...



Why am I talking about Pioneer Woman?
Cos I used a crust recipe found on her blog for this quiche. 

"This is my go-to recipe for a flaky, beautiful two crust pie," says Pioneer Woman. 
Sounds good doesn't it?  
YYflaky, crumbly crusts. 
So I thought I'd use this recipe together with my new set of 4" mini tart pans. 

PIE CRUST
Makes four 4" (10cm) crusts.

120g plain flour
1/3 tsp salt
50g butter, very cold
17g shortening
10ml cold water

Measure the flour and salt into your food processor.
Pulse to evenly combine the ingredients.
Add the butter and shortening and pulse till the mixture resembles bread crumbs. 
Add the cold water and pulse till the mixture comes together slightly.
Pour onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times till a dough comes together.

If you are working in a cold kitchen (lucky you!) and the dough feels firm enough to roll, go ahead. 
Otherwise, if your kitchen is hot and humid like mine, pop the dough into the fridge for about 20 minutes or so till it firms up.

But, again, I got lazy (and hungry) and couldn't wait for more than 5 minutes, so I improvised and just pressed the dough into the tart pans.  This, I discovered, was much easier than trying to roll out the soft, floppy dough. 

Prick the dough with a fork (so they don't balloon in the oven).
Place pie weights into the pan (optional). 
Bake at 180*C for about 8-10 min, then carefully remove pie weights and bake the shells for another 5 min.  
While waiting for the shells to cool, prepare the filling.




TOMATO BACON QUICHE
Makes four 4" (10cm) quiches.

2 rashes bacon (or ham), chopped
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup peas
some finely diced onions
60g of your favourite cheese, grated or finely diced (I used cheddar, but parmesan, swiss or even blue cheese will be fine)
some basil, sage and parsley (or any herb of your choice)

2 eggs
3/4 cup (180ml) milk
pinch of salt and pepper

Place the chopped bacon into a skillet and heat till the fat is rendered.
Add onions and cook till soft.
Add tomatoes and peas and cook till soft.
Season with herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon into quiche shells.
Sprinkle cheese on top.

In a measuring cup, stir the eggs, milk and salt/pepper to combine.
Pour into quiche shells till it reaches the brim.
Bake at 180*C for about 15 min.
Best served warm, with a side of rocket salad.




NOTES:
While I absolutely loved the flaky crumbly texture of the crust, I think a sturdier crust (perhaps one with egg) would have been more suitable for a quiche. However, for an egg tart or fruit tart, I think this crust recipe would have been perfect!


* * * * * * *

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!