17 November 2010

Caramel Maple Chiffon Cake

This is my entry for Small Small Baker's Aspiring Bakers #1: Chiffon Cakes (Nov 2010).


The feature ingredients for this cake are caramel tea and maple syrup. Both ingredients combined give this cake it's natural brown colouring.

I love the taste and aroma of caramel. So when Lipton came up with Caramel Flavoured Tea, I gave it a try. While the aroma was wonderful, the tea was too sweet for my liking. Oh dear, now what do I do with a whole box of caramel tea?

Small Small Baker's Aspiring Bakers event gave me an idea!
Here's the recipe...

Caramel Maple Chiffon Cake

75ml caramel tea (brewed as thick as possible)
4 eggs, separated
100g flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
80g sugar
1 tbs maple syrup
50ml oil

1 - Whisk egg whites till soft peaks form. Then gradually add about half the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.

2 - In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar till pale. Then add tea, maple syrup and oil and beat till well combined.

3 - Add flour and mix well.

4 - Gently fold in egg yolk mixture into egg whites with a balloon whisk.

5 - Pour into an ungreased chiffon tin and bake at 160*C for 30 minutes. When done, remove from oven and invert the cake to cool.


Now will someone tell me how you all get those nice flat tops? For some reason, my chiffon cakes dome and I can never seem to get those nice flat tops and bottoms that you all seem to get.

11 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

NEL,
This is a very nice and special flavor for chiffon. Bake from tea, I'm very sure it's very fragrant. Your chiffon looks very fluffy and rose so high. I'm sure it taste very good too!

ann low said...

NEL, I want to bookmark this because of the caramel tea flavor. I bet it is very delicious.

j3ss kitch3n said...

a new flavored chiffon!! must be very fragrant nice one nel!

Wen said...

Very innovative! Nice combination! Looks so soft and fragrant!

DG said...

New specialty chiffon for the tea lover :) It must be taste delicious since it has both caramel & marple syrup flavour.

NEL, the batter baker said...

JANE,
Thanks! The flavour and fragrance is good. But I don't know why my cake domed so much. I really like your Grand Marnier version. Texture looked really good and even; not like mine with so many big holes!

WEN,
Thanks for visiting :) The maple syrup was a last minute addition. Opened the fridge and saw the maple syrup, so I thought, why not...

ANNCOO, JESS, & DORIS,
Chiffon cake with tea is quite fragrant. I tried this with Earl Grey before (my favourite tea), and it was lovely. You can also try it with Jasmine Tea; any fragrant tea in fact. I'm thinking... rose tea will probably be quite nice too. Hope to see one of you try it out. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments :)

Unknown said...

Looks great & very inventive.

Small Small Baker said...

Hi Eelin, thanks for joining and supporting this event. This is indeed a very unique flavour! :)

NEL, the batter baker said...

Hi Jennifurla,
Nice to hear from you! Love your Worldless Wednesday post :) snow crab... yumm...

Small Small Baker,
Thanks for organising the event. Looking forward to next month's :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Very special! First of all, it's my first time knowing about caramel tea. And incorporating it into a chiffon....should be very aromatic! Nice one. :)

Anonymous said...

Caramel and maple! This is hands down a winner! i love those two flavours!

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!