10 November 2010

Hash Brown Quiche & Apple Pear Crumble

When I first saw Jennifurla's post on her Ham & Cheese Quiche, I knew I had to try it.  The unusual thing about this quiche is that the crust is made with hash browns!  Now, that was a first for me.


I modified her recipe, since I didn't have ham.  Instead, I used minced pork, pre-cooked with some basil and oregano.  I also added some lettuce and tomatoes, since I had a whole bag of it in the fridge.

The verdict: I love the hash brown crust! First, no mess of having to make the pastry dough and having flour all over the countertop. Second, its crisp and crunchy texture, as well as savoury flavour, just added a whole new dimension to the quiche.  

Thanks for sharing, Jennifurla :)


And for dessert, while the quiche was baking in the oven, it gave me just enough time to whip up this Apple & Pear Crumble. It's easy, nutritious, and fabulous with vanilla ice cream!!


Although you don't see much from the picture, all the fruity goodness is under the crunchy crumble, all thanks to the rolled oats.

RECIPE for 4 portions:

Crumble topping:
65g flour
90g brown sugar (already reduced)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
40g rolled oats
25g almonds and walnuts
75g butter, straight from the fridge

Filling:
20-40g brown sugar (depending on how sweet/sour the apples)
1 tsp cornflour
1 apple + 1 pear, peeled, cored, chopped
30g raisins or dried fruit (optional)

1 - Combine all ingredients for topping. Blitz in a food processor till it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Set aside.

2 - Combine all ingredients for filling and mix well.

3 - Divide filling into 4 ramekins (or pour it all into a small pie plate).

4 - Sprinkle crumble topping over the filling.

5 - Bake at 190*C for about 20 min for ramekins or about 30-40 min for pie plate till crumble is golden brown.

6 - Allow to cool for about 10-15 min, then serve with a generous dollop of vanilla ice cream!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!