12 January 2011

Pineapple Tarts - 1st attempt

I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #3: My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011).


And indeed my favourite CNY cookie is the humble Pineapple Tart.  I used to think that it was really difficult to make.  Maybe because of all the various p-tarts out there, I never really found one that quite compared to the one my cousin/aunt made every year.  I loved their buttery crumbly biscuit that would melt in the mouth, and the moist pineapple jam that had just the right amount of sweetness (no too sweet and dry like some awful supermarket brands).   


Initially, I hadn't planned on making pineapple tarts - because I was under the impression that it was difficult and time consuming.  But seeing so many bloggers share their experiences, and all their gorgeous pictures, I couldn't help but succumb to temptation. 


As I studied the recipes and methods, I realised the toughest part was the making of the pineapple jam from scratch.  Now that fairly good p-jam could be bought from the stores, the tough part was out of the way, and all I needed to do was to make the dough for the base.  Sounds easy enough for me :)



RECIPE FOR PINEAPPLE TARTS 
Makes about 50 tarts.

140g plain flour
10g cornflour
2 tbs icing sugar
1/8 tsp salt
90g butter, very cold
1 egg yolk
1 tbs cold water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
About 200g pineapple paste/jam
Milk or diluted egg yolk for glazing


Throw all ingredients from flour to butter into a food processor. 
Blitz till the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Combine egg yolk, water and vanilla extract, and drizzle over the flour mixture.
With a spatula, gently fold and press the mixture into a ball. Do not overwork the dough and do not knead.  Chill the dough for 10-20 min till firm.

Roll out the dough evenly and cut out the tart base with a cookie cutter.
Glaze with milk or diluted egg yolk.
Then gently press balls of pineapple jam/paste in the centre of each tart.

Bake at 160*C for 15-20 min depending on the size of your tart.
It's done when the edges start to brown.
Let tarts cool on the baking sheet for about 2-3 min to let it firm up before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.




So what is everyone baking this CNY??



14 comments:

j3ss kitch3n said...

hmmmm the buttery smell of tarts bought me here! looks really yummy!

NEL, the batter baker said...

j3ss,
Your sense of smell is amazing!!! LOL :)
I bet you'll have lots of entries this month!

ann low said...

Looks yummy and good on your 1st attempt!

Unknown said...

Wow, great job - gorgeous little bites.

Zoe said...

You did well for your 1st attempt. Your pineapple tarts are very uniformly shaped and look delicious.

WendyinKK said...

Oh here, the store bought jam still sucks.
Reeks of pineapple essence

Allie said...

Wow impressive! These look good enough to go on sale :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Ooh... I'm memerised by your pineapple tarts! I'll be making this also. You are truly right! The toughest part is cooking the pineapple paste from scratch. We're fortunate that we can get reasonably good paste here. Btw, what brand did you buy? Can share?

DG said...

Pretty cute tart! I have not yet baking any cookies yet .... still considering what should I bake this year :(

NEL, the batter baker said...

Thank you all for your kind words :) Looks like I'll be making more of these for CNY. Taste test received approving nods from friends and colleagues. (*yay*)

@ Jane:
You are so funny. I bought the pineapple paste from PH. They offer 3 different types. I asked what the difference was, and when the lady said "that one not so sweet", I just grabbed it. It's the one with AAA on the package, i think. $5.05 per 1kg pack. I go back and check tonight. But it's quite sticky, so add some water to it. Otherwise, it will become like gum drops after baking.

MaryMoh said...

Well done for your first attempt! Your pineapple tarts look very pretty and delicious! I have not started baking for Chinese New Year yet. Hope I will make at least one type of cookies.

CaThY said...

Nice flowery pineapple tarts! I did pineapple tarts before & same like you I 'cheated' by buying ready made pineapple fillings. Oh btw NEL, my MSN add is cathyng_24@hotmai.com (just in case you did not see my reply in my blog) :)

Bake for a Queen said...

oooohhh nice! Gonna attempt some pineapple tarts too and like you, I am just gonna buy ready made jam :D

hanushi said...

Your pineapple tarts looks lovely... :)

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!